Thursday, September 2, 2010

Happy 65th birthday, Itzhak Perlman

Two days ago, August 31, was Itzhak Perlman's 65th birthday.  Today we can honor him by watching and listening to some of his work.

One of the most moving pieces Perlman ever recorded is the theme from Schindler's List. 





One of my personal favorites is Perlman playing Dvorak's Dumky Trio with Yo-Yo Ma and Rudolf Firkusny.  Of course, there are many, many more that I could have added.






He was also a great musical comedian, as shown in this clip of him performing with Professor Schickele, aka PDQ Bach.  I think this will especially appeal to violin teachers.






Perlman is also a great teacher.  He answers questions that people send to him via his Facebook site, and his answers appears on his Youtube channel.  Here is one of my favorites, about practicing.


Thank you, Mr. Perlman.  I hope you had a great birthday.

No comments: